Apricot kernel oil is obtained from the kernels ( seeds ) of Apricots. After eating these delicious fruits, the seeds are used to make this light oil. Apricot kernel oil is great for use as a massage oil as it is very light and makes the skin soft. Apricot kernels themselves are quite healthy and are being researched for a number of health conditions including cancer. Apricot kernel oil is quite similar to almond oil and its applications are also similar. This oil has a deep, nutty flavor which makes it an excellent ingredient for desserts and other recipes. Apricot kernel oil possesses many therapeutic properties which make it suitable for its various uses. Emollient - Apricot seed oil is a brilliant emollient ( moisturizer ). Anti - Inflammatory - It reduces inflammation when applied topically or when ingested. Anti-Aging - It provides nutrition and support to the skin so that aging is reduced. Anti - Bacterial - This effect is made use of to treat clothes and other products to keep bacteria away. Anti Septic - reduces risk of infection in open wounds and cuts. Antioxidant - prevents the skin from damage by free radicals. 1. Apricot kernel oil for Skin Apricot kernel oil is good for people with sensitive skin. It is non-irritant and soothing for the skin. It is light and quickly makes the skin soft and smooth. Apricot oil percolates deep into the skin. It is easy to apply on the skin as it quickly spreads on the skin. It soothes irritated skin. A massage with apricot kernel oil is good for dry, parched skin. One can use it after a shower to seal the moisture into the skin. Since it is light, it does not feel too oily. Once it is absorbed into skin,it provides moisturization for a long time. Apricot kernel oil is one of the best carrier oils for massage. It penetrates nicely into the skin and also improves the delivery of essential oils and other herbal agents. This oil is also good for infusing with herbs and absorbing their essence. It can be utilized for various kinds of massage that require an oil. 2. Apricot kernel oil for Hair Apricot oil is loved by many people around the world for their hair care. When applied to the hair shafts,it helps to detangle hair. These are the health benefits that organic apricot oil provides to hair.
- It promotes hair growth because of the nutrients in it, especially Vitamin E.
- It reduces dry scalp problems.
- It helps to achieve gorgeous shiny hair without any greasiness.
- When used as a hot oil treatment, it conditions the hair and provides them nutrition.
- It softens the hair, so that they are more manageable and easily combed.
3. As an Under Eye Cream Apricot oil can be applied just like almond oil for healing under eye skin. It aids in reducing dark circles, puffiness and helps to strengthen the skin around this region. With regular application of apricot kernel oil, one can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes. 4. Face Oil Apricot kernel oil is a nice face oil, especially when compared to other heavier oils. It helps to improve skin tone, nourish the skin and lower the appearance of aging signs, like wrinkles, lines and blemishes. However, this oil should be avoided by people who are suffering from acne or are prone to acne. That is because it has a comedogenicity of 2. This means that the oil is mildly comedogenic and it can clog skin pores. This may result in acne breakouts and blackheads. 5. Apricot kernel oil for making Soap Apricot oil is used as an ingredient in soaps. One can use it in home made soap recipes to have a lesser oily and slippery oil. It makes a nice base oil for the soap, in combination with coconut oil and palm oil, which are very common in soap making. Apricot oil adds a slight nutty aroma to the oil. It is also a good carrier for essential oils which are used in soap making like lemon essential oil, lavender oil and jasmine essential oil.